It is crucial to prioritize nutrition for both mothers and babies. This guide provides detailed information and practical advice on optimal nutrition practices to ensure the well-being and healthy development of infants and mothers.
By following these guidelines, you can promote a healthy future for you and your child.
1. The Benefits of Breastfeeding and Special Treatments
1.1 Breast Milk: The Best Nutrition for Babies
Breast milk is the ideal source of nutrition for infants up to 6 months of age. It contains all the necessary nutrients for your baby's growth and development. Breast milk is clean, always readily available, and highly nutritious, providing the best start in life for your child.
1.2 Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF)
If your child is diagnosed with malnutrition, doctors may provide special treatments called RUTF at nutrition treatment centers. RUTF is specifically designed to address severe acute malnutrition in children. It is essential to follow the advice of healthcare professionals and only give RUTF to your malnourished child, as it is not suitable for healthy children or adults.
1.3 Hydration and Feeding
The special food distributed at feeding centers may make your children thirsty. It is important to save clean water for your children to drink. Additionally, continue breastfeeding your child alongside the provided food.
2. Nutrition for Pregnant Women
2.1 Importance of IFA Pills
During pregnancy, the red IFA pills (iron and folic acid) you receive at healthcare facilities play a crucial role in reducing the risk of maternal anemia and low birth weight. Ensure you take 30 IFA pills at each visit during pregnancy and for 40 days after giving birth.
2.2 Healthy Eating Habits
In addition to three regular meals, pregnant women should:
- Include at least one extra small meal (snack) in their daily routine.
- Consume a variety of foods from the seven food groups, including vegetables, fruits, dairy products, protein-rich beans, and foods containing carbohydrates and vitamins.
- Use iodized salt in cooking and drink plenty of clean water (2-3 liters) daily.
- Take iron and folic acid tablets as prescribed, and consume iron-rich foods such as spinach, various types of beans, fruits, meat, and liver to prevent anemia and improve the health of both mother and child.
- Incorporate vitamin C-rich foods like lemons, oranges, tomatoes, and green peppers into your diet, as they enhance iron absorption.
- Consume foods rich in iron and folic acid, such as meat, chicken, eggs, beans, and dark green leafy vegetables like spinach.
3. Advice and Final Tips
By prioritizing proper nutrition practices and following the practical advice provided, you can ensure the health and well-being of both your baby and you. Breastfeeding provides the best nutrition for infants, while RUTF is available for malnourished children. Pregnant women should focus on balanced meals, including additional snacks, and take IFA pills as prescribed.
3.2 Final Tips
Consult healthcare professionals for personalized guidance on nutrition during pregnancy and lactation.
- Maintain a balanced diet with a variety of food groups.
- Hydrate adequately and drink clean water regularly.
- Encourage breastfeeding and continue it alongside complementary foods.
- Follow the advice and recommendations of healthcare workers for the best outcomes.
By adhering to the principles of proper nutrition outlined in this guide, you can enhance the health and well-being of both mothers and babies. Breastfeeding, proper hydration, and balanced meals are essential for the optimal growth and development of infants, while pregnant women should focus on a diverse diet and take IFA pills to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Remember to seek guidance from healthcare professionals for personalized nutrition advice.
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.