This guide provides information for current or former employers of Afghan nationals who may be eligible for the Afghan P-2 resettlement program.

The Afghan P-2 program allows U.S. government agencies, U.S.-based NGOs, and U.S.-based media organizations to refer certain Afghan nationals and their spouses/children to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP). People who may be eligible cannot apply directly to this program. They must be referred by their employer.

Resettlement via USRAP is a separate process from the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) application process. The eligibility criteria, required procedures, and status upon arrival are different.

IRAP’s information about the Afghan SIV program is here. IRAP’s general information about the U.S. refugee resettlement process is here.

Who is eligible for the Afghan P-2 Program?

Afghans are eligible for the P-2 if they worked in Afghanistan:

  • For a U.S. government-funded program or project supported through a U.S. government grant or cooperative agreement
    • Employees of sub-contractors and sub-grantees are not eligible for P-2.
  • For a U.S.-based media organization 
  • For a U.S.-based non-governmental organization.

Afghans are also eligible for this program if their work would qualify for an SIV, but they did not work long enough to be eligible for an SIV. This includes work in Afghanistan: 

  • As employees of U.S. government contractors for less than one year.
    • Employees of subcontractors are not eligible for P-2.
    • For the U.S. government as locally-employed staff for less than one year.
    • As interpreters/translators for the U.S. Government, United States Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A), International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), or Resolute Support for less than one year.

Unfortunately, the State Department has not explained how it will handle situations such as when:

  • An applicant worked for longer than one year and should be eligible for an SIV, but their human resources or recommendation letters establish less than one year of work.
  • An applicant worked for at least one year but was rejected for an SIV.

The P-2 program does not accept self-referrals from applicants. Referrals must be made by the senior-most U.S. citizen employee of the media organization’s or NGO’s headquarters in the United States. Any individual who meets the requirements can be referred. Under current State Department guidance, this program does not require:

  • A minimum length of employment on the relevant project, grant, or contract.
  • Recommendation letters describing the value of the individual’s service. 
  • That a specific percentage of the individual’s employment be charged to U.S. funding.

The State Department has published very limited guidance about eligibility, and its descriptions of who is eligible may shift over time.

How do I contact my organization’s former employees?

IRAP urges employers and agencies to:

  • Reach out to former employees at their most recent contact information to coordinate referrals; and 
  • Publish information on their websites with information on how former employees can request referrals.

Who can be included in an application?

In addition to the eligible individual, their spouses and children of any age or marital status can be included in the application. 

The State Department has not explained whether the spouse and children can apply without the eligible employee, including if the eligible employee dies.

Does the applicant need to be outside Afghanistan for me to submit a referral?

U.S. resettlement processing is not available in Afghanistan. But employers do not need to wait for someone to relocate to submit a referral. A referral can be submitted now, regardless of the applicant’s location. IRAP suggests that employers submit referrals for all eligible employees now, even if those individuals are not able to travel. This will ensure that an applicant can be considered for resettlement in the future if they are able to relocate.

After an individual is referred, refugee processing will not start until the applicant is in a location where processing is available. The applicant can contact the State Department when they are in one of those locations. As of this writing, the State Department has not stated where processing is possible. Processing will not be possible in Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Yemen.

I am a U.S. government official, or I represent a U.S.-funded contractor or grantee. How do I refer an eligible Afghan national employee to this program?

The State Department has said that an Afghan who is being referred based on U.S.-funded work must be referred by a U.S. government official from the U.S. government agency that funded the projects. 

  • The State Department has noted that there is an internal process at each agency for these referrals and to contact the appropriate agency to proceed. It has not provided any contact information about these processes. 
  • The Department of Defense has indicated that current or former Defense Department employees and members of the armed forces can contact the Department of Defense P-1/P-2 Referral Team at 

IRAP strongly urges you to contact your agency and request information on how to refer employees. IRAP also urges employers and agencies to contact former employers and to publish information on how former employees can request referrals.

Guidance for U.S.-based NGOs and media organizations is available here

I represent a US-based NGO or media organization that is/was not funded by the U.S. government. How do I refer an eligible Afghan national employee to this program?

The State Department changed its processes for Afghan P-2 referrals by media organizations and NGOs, effective on January 31, 2022 at 5pm EST. 

The process as of January 31, 2022 at 5pm EST is:

First, the employer, acting with the approval of the current senior-most U.S. citizen employee of the U.S.-headquarters, must complete this GovCloud Google form

Second, the employer will receive an email from a “” email address, either: 1) requesting additional information, 2) confirming the organization is eligible to submit referrals, or 3) notifying the employer that they are ineligible to submit referrals.

Third, eligible employers will receive an email with instructions on how to access the State Department’s referral system and make individual referrals. Required referral information, formatting information, and forms can be found through links here.

For NGO and media organizations that submitted referrals to before January 31, 2022, 5 pm EST, the State Department has said that they will continue to process these submissions.

Where can I find more information about this program?

The U.S. State Department’s factsheets on this program can be found here

Is there a limit on how many eligible employees I should refer to this program?

There are no numerical limits on how many individuals your company or organization can refer to the USRAP through this program.

What happens after I refer an employee?

The State Department asks that referring organizations serve as the contact with Afghan until a referral is complete and accepted. If a referral is complete and accepted by USRAP, then the State Department will send a confirmation email to the applicant and employer from or The email will contain instructions for the applicant on how to inform the USRAP of their location once they have left Afghanistan. If you have made a referral to the State Department and you and the applicant has not received that email, then the referral has not yet been completed and accepted, and you should follow up with the State Department.

The State Department has created this form to use to follow up on pending referrals from NGO and media organizations. The State Department has not explained other information about processing, including where processing will occur. 

IRAP has a general guide about the U.S. refugee resettlement process available here.

Can my employee apply for P-2 and other immigration programs at the same time? 

Yes. IRAP has guides on other pathways that may apply to them on our website, In particular, IRAP’s website includes extensive guides on SIVs, family reunification, and humanitarian parole. 

Does my employee need legal assistance in this process?

The vast majority of people in the U.S. resettlement process apply without legal help. IRAP’s website provides information on the refugee resettlement interviews and appealing a denial from refugee status.

What support does the U.S. government offer to applicants in this process after they leave Afghanistan?

The U.S. government does not offer financial or protection assistance to applicants in the resettlement program. The U.S. government does not help applicants secure legal status in a country of asylum. International law prohibits countries from deporting individuals to a place where they fear harm, but many governments will seek to deport individuals who are within their borders without legal status. 

Some applicants may register with UNHCR or governments as asylum-seekers. UNHCR does not operate in every country, is not able to provide financial resources to most asylum-seekers, and also cannot guarantee safety from deportation. Resources for UNHCR offices in some countries are available at help.unhcr.orgContact information for UNHCR in other countries is available here.

Ask for help from "Beporsed"

For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.

For more information

For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.

Beporsed website (

Facebook (@beporsed)

X or Twitter (@beporsed)

Instagram (@beporsed)