The internet and virtual world, which has provided many conveniences to people in this era, can cause a world of problems by making a small mistake and leaking private information. With the advancement of technology and the increase in the use of the Internet, using passwords to log in to various user accounts has become very important. Password as a security method to protect your user account, in addition to its many strengths, can still be cracked and hacked by hackers. This mistake causes unauthorized access to your user account.
A secure password must be used to create all user accounts. A secure password is made up of a combination of letters, numbers, and characters that are unrecognizable to hackers.
In this article, we will take a close look at the password hacking factors, and how to choose a strong and suitable password to protect the user account; This will help you choose a safe password so that your information is not exposed to hackers.
Password cracking and hacking agents
The password is hacked for various reasons, and below, we remind you of several reasons for its hacking, although there may be many other factors as well:
- Weak password: Using a weak and easy password allows hackers to try to crack your password using methods such as dictionary attacks or brute force attacks.
- Phishing attacks: In phishing attacks, hackers try to trick you into providing your password by sending fake emails, fake messages, or fake websites. If you react to these attacks and enter your password in the wrong places, hackers can easily gain access to your account.
- Spyware: Using spyware installed on your smartphone, computer, or other electronic device allows hackers to steal your password and gain access to your account.
- Leakage of information: Leakage of information in various online platforms, such as large companies and social sites, can lead to password hacking. If your password is in a database, hackers can use it to log into your account.
Due to these factors, it is essential to protect your password by choosing a strong and appropriate password and following security principles.
How to create a strong and appropriate password?
A safe and suitable password includes a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols. Also, according to various recommendations, the password should have at least eight characters. To increase password security, you can use the following methods:
- Choose a password that cannot be predicted or hacked! Do not use names, numbers, and phrases that are important to you, such as your phone number, date of birth, name of yourself or other family members, etc. This information is recognizable to everyone.
- Do not share your password with others! While the password is very personal, it is subject to many uses. So don't share it with others.
- Choose a long password! Use passwords between 8 and 10 characters, but longer passwords are also more secure. However, some sites or apps limit this amount.
- Use at least one capital English letter and one small letter! Do not choose your password only from uppercase or lowercase English letters. Rather, a secure password is made from a combination of both of these. For example, the phrase "IamFrOmAfghaNisTan" consists of lowercase and uppercase letters.
- Use spaces in your password! Usually, systems do not allow you to enter a space in the password. But if a system allows this, it is very useful to use a space or underscore "_" between characters.
- Do not use the same password for different user accounts! Using the same passwords makes it easy for someone to gain access to one of your accounts. To remember your passwords easily, you can use phrases like each other, for example, "Im@fg*N_#9" and "_Im#9*fg@N".
- Write down your password somewhere other than your mobile or computer! If you are worried about forgetting your password and want to write it down somewhere, it is better not to write it down on your mobile, tablet, laptop, and other systems. Because it is very easy for users to access it. You can also use the code to remember your password so that even if someone finds it, they will not know your password.
How do we know that we have a secure password?
Our recommendation is that you go to the Security.org website and type your password there. This website tells you how long it would take a hacker's computer to guess your password or passwords.
One of the practical ways to remember the password is to use a phrase or sentence as the basis of the password. Just remember that your password should be made up of a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, along with numbers, spaces, and other characters.
Remember that the best way to protect your account is to change your password regularly. It is best to change your password at least once every six months.
Password management application
In addition to the above, using password management software such as LastPass, Dashlane, and 1Password allows you to store your password in a confidential location and prevent your account from being hacked by creating a strong password.
Also, unlike the traditional password, two-factor authentication includes two steps to enter the user account. In this method, after entering the password, you must enter a two-step verification code that is provided to you. Using two-factor authentication plus a strong password provides the best possible protection for your account.
Ask for help from "Beporsed"
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.