A traffic accident refers to any collision that occurs with a vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist, or any other object on the road. These incidents can range from minor to significant collisions that result in serious injuries or fatalities. Traffic accidents can occur for various reasons, such as driver mistakes, technical problems with the vehicle, weather conditions, road conditions, etc. It is essential to exercise caution to avoid accidents and stay safe on the road.
The number of human casualties caused by traffic accidents varies yearly and from one country to another. generally, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), road traffic fatalities are one of the leading causes of death worldwide, accounting for approximately 1.35 million deaths annually, an average of 3,700 per day. In addition to death, millions of people are injured and disabled yearly due to traffic accidents. Most of these casualties occur in low- and middle-income countries with inadequate road protection measures and infrastructure. Meanwhile, according to the report of the World Health Organization (WHO), traffic accidents are one of the main concerns of the public health sector in Afghanistan, with an estimated annual death toll of traffic accidents at around 15,000 deaths and 30,000 injuries. Most of these accidents are attributed to inadequate road infrastructure, lack of traffic rules and regulations, incorrect driving practices, and lack of safety facilities.
In this article, the safety tips for facing a traffic accident are discussed because following some simple safety tips while driving will help you not to have an accident or fewer accidents.
Factors of traffic accidents
There are many factors for the occurrence of traffic accidents, and some of the most common factors are:
- Disregarding the rules: Disregarding the traffic rules is one of Afghanistan's leading causes of traffic accidents. Most drivers who cause accidents do not have a driver's license and do not have the necessary knowledge of traffic rules.
- Driving without attention: Most drivers who have accidents in Afghanistan do not drive with their senses and talk on the phone while driving, are busy on smartphones and sending text messages, eating, or are busy with activities. Other things take the driver's attention away from the road.
- High speed: driving illegally or unsuitable for road conditions can increase the risk of traffic accidents.
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired: Driving under the influence of drugs such as marijuana, powder or alcohol can impair the driver's ability to make good decisions and react quickly. Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of traffic accidents.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving includes behaviors such as speeding up, moving the vehicle back and forth, traveling in the traffic lane of another vehicle, and ignoring traffic signs and driving is one of the causes of traffic accidents.
- Bad weather or road conditions: Rain, snow, ice, and other bad weather and road conditions can make driving more difficult and increase the risk of collision.
- Vehicle technical problems: This includes problems in brakes, beams, steering, or other vehicle components that can cause traffic accidents.
- Existence of non-hand-drive vehicles in Afghanistan: according to the laws of Afghanistan, right-hand-drive vehicles are not allowed to operate in Afghanistan. Only Afghan vehicles (left-hand drive) are allowed to operate. At the same time, any time right-shifting vehicles are allowed to operate, it disrupts the traffic flow on the roads and causes traffic accidents.
Traffic accident control methods
There are different methods to control traffic accidents, which include:
- Education and awareness: Educating drivers, pedestrians, and others on the road about safe driving practices and the importance of following traffic and driving laws and guidelines can help reduce the number of accidents.
- Adherence to driving laws: Adherence to traffic and driving laws and guidelines, including speed limits, use of seat belts, and regardless of drunk driving, can eliminate the dangerous consequences of driving.
- Implementation of traffic laws: strict implementation of traffic and driving laws and guidelines, including speed limit and use of seat belts, can eliminate the dangerous consequences of driving and reduce the number of accidents.
- Improving road conditions: Well-designed roads and infrastructure, including the installation of traffic and road signs and pedestrian crossings, can improve safety for everyone on the road.
- The use of Afghan vehicles: the use of Afghan vehicles (left-hand drive) can effectively reduce traffic accidents.
- Vehicle safety features: Using safety features such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, and stable electronic control can help prevent accidents or reduce their severity.
- Use of technology: Technological advances such as collision avoidance systems, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking can help prevent accidents or reduce their effects.
By combining the above methods, traffic accidents can be reduced, and road safety can be improved for everyone.
What should be done in case of a traffic accident?
In case of a traffic accident, there are several things that you can do to eliminate or minimize the losses caused by these accidents.
- Ask for help! If you can, call the health teams and ambulance for help.
- Ensure your safety! Assess the situation and ensure your safety before attempting to help others.
- Move to safety! If possible, move your vehicle to a safe place off the road to avoid further accidents.
- Call the police! Call the police to report the accident and provide location details, vehicle number, and any injuries.
- Check the injuries! Check for injured people and help if necessary. Check yourself and others involved in the accident for injuries. If someone is injured, call the health team immediately.
- Avoid transporting the injured! If the person is unconscious, do not move them unless necessary to prevent further injury.
- Stop the bleeding! If the person is bleeding, apply pressure to the wound using a clean cloth or pad.
- Be warned! If there is any secondary danger, keep a safe distance and warn others to stay away.
Remember to put your safety first and wait for emergency services to arrive if unsure of what to do.
Adverse effects of traffic accidents on humans
Traffic accidents can have a wide range of adverse effects on humans, including:
- Physical injuries: Traffic accidents can cause several physical injuries, including broken bones, head injuries, nose injuries, and internal injuries.
- Trauma: Traffic accidents can be a traumatic experience that can cause emotional and mental distress, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Financial losses: Traffic accidents can result in significant financial losses due to medical expenses, vehicle repairs, and lost wages.
- Disability: In some cases, traffic accidents can lead to permanent disability, which can significantly impact people's quality of life.
- Mortality: In the worst cases, traffic accidents can lead to deaths, and families lose their loved ones as a result of these accidents.
Ask for help from "Beporsed"
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.