Registration of marriage in the official marriage certificate is essential for establishing the identity of the spouses, as it is mandatory for the spouses in most countries of the world. Like other contracts, a marriage contract imposes rights and responsibilities on the parties, so it is necessary to be registered in the official and judicial registry. Registering marriages and obtaining marriage certificates in formal courts will facilitate the creation of convenience inside and outside the country, especially in migration and internal and external travels to other countries.
How is a marriage certificate obtained in Badghis province?
Applicants must follow the steps below to obtain their marriage certificate:
Step 1: Application and required documents
- The spouse’s petitions are formally addressed to the related court in Badghis province, and the application form for the marriage certificate will be approved.
- Spouses living in the city of Badghis, send their requests to the Documents and Letter Record Department of the relevant court, and spouses living in the districts of this province send their requests/applications to the primary courts active at the district level of Badghis province.
- Two Photos size 3x4 and the spouses' original Tazkira (ID cards) are mandatory when filling out the application.
- In addition to the amount of dowry (Mahar), the date of the marriage and the number of children is also recorded in the petition and later in the original marriage certificate.
Step 2: Visiting the relevant court
- One of the spouses will take the petition and the necessary documents to the relevant court in the city of Badghis or the primary court in the districts of Badghis province, so the director of the relevant court will issue an order accordingly.
- The relevant court, in addition to the petition, will provide a form or inquiry that contains questions about the reputation of the parties, their place of residence, the eligibility of the parties, and the absence of temporary and permanent obstacles to the marriage between the parties.
- In addition to the form, a tariff for 1000 AFN fee is also given to the applicants, and then one of the spouses pays the mentioned amount to the Afghanistan Bank, and a confirmation of the payment will be presented to the relevant court.
Step 3: confirmation of Mullah Imam and area representative
- The form is taken to the Mullah Imam of the mosque and two people from the neighborhood to answer some questions, and then the form is taken to the area representative for confirmation.
- After completing the form, the spouses must submit the form again to the Documents and Letter Record Department of the relevant court of further processing.
Step 4: Testimony of the witnesses
- To register their marriage and to receive their marriage certificate, the spouses take two of their relatives to the relevant court with the originals and copies of their Tazkira and two photos.
- The relevant officer will record the personal information of the spouses and two witnesses in the marriage certificate, and their records based on their original Tazkira, and then the marriage certificate is presented to the judges of the relevant court.
- The spouses confess in front of the judge that for the specific amount of dowry, the husband and wife have married each other, and the witnesses also testify that the parties are husband and wife. In the end, the court sets a return date for receiving the marriage certificate.
Step 5: Receiving the marriage certificate
- One of the spouses will go to the court on the appointed day and receive the registered and stamped marriage certificate by presenting their original Tazkira.
- Then, one of the spouses will take the marriage certificate to the Court of Appeal in Badghis Province, and the director of the court will confirm the judge’s current employment.
- Until this stage, the marriage certificate is final and can be used inside the country, but to use it outside the country, it must be translated.
Translation of marriage certificate
- The applicant will present the marriage certificate to one of the official translation agencies in Herat province to translate it into a specific language and then take it to the Government Affairs Office in Herat province to confirm the authenticity of the translation and the reliability of the marriage certificate.
- The Government Affairs Office in Herat will give a bank tariff to the applicant, and the applicant will pay a fee of 200 AFN for the confirmation of the marriage certificate to the Afghanistan Bank and will hand over the receipt to the Government Affairs Office.
- Then both copies of the national language and the translated version are submitted to the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat province.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat will issue a bank tariff to the applicant, and the applicant will hand over a 200 AFN fee for certifying the marriage certificate and deliver a copy of the bank slip to the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat province.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat province approves both copies of the marriage certificate and submits it back to the applicant.
Reobtaining (Musana) marriage certificate
- First, one of the spouses prepares a petition, describes the matter, and requests a copy of the marriage certificate.
- The required documents to reobtain the marriage certificate are a radio announcement document, one photo size 4x3 of spouses and the witnesses, confirmation of the local council, and a copy of the missing marriage certificate or number and date of its issue or the destroyed marriage certificate.
- The applicant will submit the necessary documents to the Documents and Letter Record Department of the Court of Appeals in the city or the primary court in the relevant district of Badghis Province and receive the certificate after processing.
Qalai Naw City, First District, next to the Directorate of Hajj and Endowment, Court of Appeals, Documents and Letter Record Department.
Primary courts at the district level of Badghis province
Ask for help from "Beporsed"
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.