A birth certificate is an official document containing the holder's date and place of birth, which is the most essential document for an individual's identity. Afghans with a birth certificate will have access to the services that are their basic rights and needs such as health, education, passport, ID card, and other services. Afghans will also need a birth certificate to confirm their date and place of birth when seeking essential and public services in foreign countries.
What are the steps to obtain a birth certificate in Laghman province?
The applicants should follow the steps below to receive their birth certificates:
Step 1: Application form of birth certificate
- Applicants download the birth certificate application from the website of the National Statistics and Information Authority (nsia.gov.af) and receive it from the offices of Civil Registration in the Qalai Naw city, and civil registration offices in the districts of Laghman Province.
- The form is filled based on the information on the national ID card or the applicant's passport.
- Applicants who are 6 years old and younger can apply for a birth card in Laghman Province.
- Applicants over the age of 6 years old in Laghman, should apply for a birth card at the Central Civil Registration Office of the National Statistics and Information Authority in Kabul.
Step 2: Providing the necessary documents
- Parents or relatives of the child provide a copy of their Tazkira, a copy of the child's Tazkira, and four 4x3 photos of the child with a white background to submit an application or register to obtain a birth certificate for the child.
Step 3: Referral to the civil registration office
- The applicant fills out the request form and refers to the relevant office of Civil Registration with the required documents.
- Applicants should refer to the Office of Civil Registration in the city of Laghman and the applicant in the districts should refer to the relevant offices of civil registration in the districts of Laghman province.
- The applicant will submit the form and documents to the relevant civil registration office go through the steps there and pay the amount of 200 AFN a fee for the birth certificate.
- After submitting the relevant documents and the request form, the relevant officer will give the applicant a receipt with a return date.
Step 4: Receiving the birth certificate
- The applicant visits the birth certificate distribution department of the Civil Registration Office at the specified time and presents the receipt to receive the birth certificate.
- The birth certificate will be issued in three languages: Pashto, Dari, and English, usable in the country. However, to use it outside the country, it is necessary to obtain the approval of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If an English version of the birth certificate does not exist, it must be translated for use in other countries.
Birth certificate for children
- Birth certificates will be written for newborns in the city and districts of Laghman province by health centers (hospitals and clinics) and civil registration offices and delivered to the parents.
- The birth certificate has two parts. In the first part, the health center fills in the information about the newborn's identity, including the name, parent’s name, date, and place of birth, and the second part of the card is left blank.
- If the parents do not receive the birth certificate from the civil registration offices, the birth certificate will be delivered to one of the civil registration offices in the city, the provincial office, or the relevant district within three months after writing.
- The civil registration office registers the information of the newborn. It enters the information in the birth registration system, and the second part of the birth card is stamped, signed, and handed over to the parents. The birth certificate is only usable if it is stamped and signed by one of the civil registration offices.
- If the applicant wants to receive the birth certificate directly from the civil registration offices, the first and second sections will be filled at once, so having the vaccination card or information is mandatory.
Translation of the birth certificate
- The applicant will present the birth certificate to one of the official translation agencies in Kabul province to translate it into the specific language and then take it to the Government Affairs Office in Kabul province to verify the official translation and the information on the birth certificate.
- The Government Affairs Office in Kabul will provide a bank tariff to the applicant, and the applicant will submit a fee of 200 AFN to the Afghanistan Bank to confirm the birth certificate. A copy of the original bank receipt will be presented to the Government Affairs Office.
- Then both copies of the national language and the translated birth certificate will be submitted to the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul province.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul will issue a bank tariff to the applicant, and the applicant will submit a birth certificate confirmation fee of 200 AFN to the Afghanistan Bank and will submit the bank receipt to the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul approves both copies of the birth certificate and submits it to the applicant again.
Reobtaining (Musana) birth certificate
- The applicant first prepares an application or a petition explaining the matter and the reason for re-obtaining the birth certificate.
- The documents required for reobtaining a missing birth certificate are a radio announcement document, two photos, and a copy of the missing birth certificate; and the documents required for reobtaining a damaged birth certificate are two photos and the original destroyed birth certificate.
- The applicants will submit the necessary documents to the civil registration office in the city or district of Laghman province. After completing the application process, the applicant will receive his birth certificate.
Mehtarlam city, behind the National Security Directorate, the previous provincial building, the Directorate of Statistics and Information, the Department of Civil Registration; Also, the city's provincial hospital and health centers.
Offices of Civil Registration and health centers at the district level of Laghman province.
Ask for help from "Beporsed"
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.