The letter of inheritance is an official document to approve the number of heirs of a deceased by the judicial authority. This document includes details such as the number of heirs, the amount of inheritance, and their relationship with the deceased. After the application of the heirs is examined and confirmed, the heirs will be issued the letter of inheritance. Heirs can claim their share of inheritance inside and outside the country using the letter of inheritance.
How is the inheritance letter obtained in Herat province?
Applicants should follow the steps below to obtain their inheritance letter:
Step 1: Application form
- One of the heirs of a deceased person, petitions a formal request to the relevant court in Herat province to obtain the letter of inheritance.
- The heirs living in the center of Herat should address their request to the Court of Appeals and the heirs living in the districts of this province should address their request to the primary courts active at the district level of Herat province.
- In the petition, all the heirs, including male, female, minor, and elder, and the cause of death of the deceased person, are mentioned.
- Copies of the Tazkiras of the heirs and two witnesses along with two photos size 3x4, and the confirmation of the district council is required.
Step 2: Visiting the relevant court
- One of the heirs will take the petition and the necessary documents based on the inheritance letter to the Court of Appeals in the city of Herat or the primary court in the districts of Herat province, and the director of the relevant court will issue an order accordingly.
- The relevant court will issue a form of inquiry that will include questions about the deceased's information, their heirs, and their place of residence.
Step 3: Confirmation by Mullah Imam and area representative
- The form or query will be taken to two people from the neighborhood, Mullah Imam, Malik or area representative, and the relevant district office, they will provide and confirm the relevant information in the form, including the name of the deceased, the cause of death, the heirs, and their Tazkira number.
- After completing the form, one of the heirs will submit the form again to the Documents and Letter Record Department of the relevant district of Herat city or the primary court in the relevant district of Herat province to be processed.
Step 4: Testimony of the witnesses
- Two witnesses and three confessors with their original ID cards and two photos, and one of the heirs representing all the inheritors, with two photos and their original Tazkiras will go to the relevant court.
- The witnesses testify in the presence of the judge to confirm the claim of the heirs of the deceased in the letter of inheritance.
- The inheritance letter is created, and the information of the heirs and witnesses is recorded in it, and then the date is set for its issuance.
Step 5: Receiving the inheritance letter
- One of the heirs will go to the relevant court on the appointed day and receive the registered and stamped inheritance letter by presenting his original Tazkira.
- Then, one of the heirs will take the letter of inheritance to the Court of Appeal in Herat Province, for the court director to confirm the judge’s current employment.
- Until this stage, the inheritance letter is final. It can be used inside the country, but to use it outside the country, it is necessary to obtain a translated version and a confirmation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Translation of the inheritance letter
- The applicant will present the letter of inheritance to one of the official translation agencies in Herat province to translate it into a specific language, and then take it to the Government Affairs Office in Herat to confirm the authenticity of the translation and the reliability of the inheritance letter.
- The Government Affairs Office in Herat will give a bank tariff to the applicant. The applicant will submit a 200 AFN fee for the confirmation of the inheritance letter to the Afghanistan Bank. A copy of the original bank receipt will be handed over to the Government Affairs Office.
- Then both copies of the national language and the translated letter of inheritance are submitted to the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat Province.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Herat issues a bank tariff to the applicant, and the applicant will hand over the 200 AFN fee of the letter of inheritance to a branch of the Afghanistan Bank, and hand over the receipt to The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign.
- The representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Herat approves both copies of the inheritance letters and submits them to the applicant.
Reobtaining (Musana) the letter of inheritance
- One of the heirs first fills a petition or a formal request to the Court of Appeals in the center or the court of first instance in the district of Herat Province, explains the matter, and requests to reobtain the letter of inheritance.
- The documents required to obtain the inheritance letter are a radio announcement document, a copy of the missing inheritance letter, the issue number, or the original destroyed inheritance letter.
- The applicant will submit the necessary documents to the Documents and Letter Record Department of the Court of Appeals in Herat City or the primary court in the relevant district of Herat Province and obtains the inheritance letter after going through the process.
Herat city, first district, administrative complex of the province, Court of Appeals, Documents and Letter Record Department.
The primary courts at the district level of Herat province
Ask for help from "Beporsed"
For those Afghans seeking specific information, "Beporsed" is here to help. You can reach our information center through WhatsApp (+93729807235), Facebook Messenger, or our website's Messenger to ask our online information desk officer for assistance.
For more information
For more information on immigration, resettlement, education and scholarship programs, and other opportunities available to Afghans worldwide, as well as details on the humanitarian services provided by international organizations in Afghanistan and procedures for obtaining civil documents from governmental institutions, please visit Beporsed's website and social media pages.